Are you a senior leader that wants to play a part in ensuring that we can deliver value to millions of smallholder cotton farmers? Do you have a background in investing in agri-commodity value chains or the textiles industry with a retailer or brand? Do you think in terms of strategic opportunities and are you driven by results? We are looking for a Senior Program Manager that wants to take our materials program to even greater heights in the next ten years.
The IDH Textiles and Manufacturing Unit, through its Cotton Program, reaches more than 3 million smallholder farmers across the world. We have successfully run a significant grant-making facility (total value over 15m Euro average pa) for cotton farmer capacity building and now want to establish impact investment as a route to driving climate resilience for smallholder farmers. We also want to expand our materials program to tackle challenges in polyester and Man-Made Cellulosic Fibres (MMCFs). As we enter a new strategy period and set our sights on new goals for 2025, we are looking for a Senior Program Manager to help us continue to grow our reach and positively impact the lives of smallholders and solve critical issues in material production and use.
The Senior Program Manager will manage the Materials team, which consist of three Program Officers and one Program Manager, based in London, Utrecht and Delhi. The Senior Program Manager will report to the Global Director for the Textiles & Manufacturing Unit based in Delhi. The position of Senior Program Manager can be based in Utrecht or London.
The main responsibilities of the Senior Program Manager are:
- Team management, and lead on delivering annual targets for cotton, climate resilience and alternate materials under Materials program.
- Engage on an ongoing basis with key stakeholders such as private sector partners, civil society, industry associations and other forums on the topic of sustainable cotton, polyester and MMCFs.
- Fundraising for the Materials program as and when required.
- Design and set up new innovative financing mechanisms for the program, with a focus on impact investing, including but not limited to a Better Cotton Impact Fund.
- Lead proposal development, writing of concept notes, investment committee notes, and program summaries as required to support the growth of the program.
- Lead and oversee the Materials team contributions to annual planning, reporting, and monitoring and evaluation requirements in collaboration with the BU Operations Manager.
- Contribute actively to Strategic Plan and roadmap development for the IDH Materials program on an annual basis in line with IDH Multi-Year Plan, identifying key opportunities based on sector knowledge.
- Identify and analyze market developments, business development-related knowledge, trends within the industry and cotton, and coordinate with the IDH Learning team.
- Oversight and day to day management of the Better Cotton Growth and Innovation Fund ensuring smooth operations and ongoing stakeholder consultation.
Who you are
You are analytically strong, self-directed, able and willing to work independently. Also, you have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, adapt easily to new cultures and are a strong group facilitator.
You are an energetic, resourceful and hands-on character who operates effectively with minimum direction. You are agile when it comes to changing priorities, taking appropriate initiative and able to assume final responsibility for service delivery.
More than anything else, you take pride in your work and are keen to deliver high-quality outputs with a strong focus on clear, effective and efficient processes. You have a head for numbers and can analyse data and use trends to inform future strategic priorities.
Previous experience working with agricultural commodities (cotton in particular) and prior experience and engagement with stakeholders including brands, civil society & government organizations is much desired. A strong understanding of financing mechanisms, building robust deals/pipelines linked to impact outcomes is highly appreciated. You must be a team player and have strong lateral management and persuasive skills with more than 7-10 years plus experience.
What you bring
- 10+ years of relevant, international work experience in agriculture, strategy development, agriculture financing, and related topics.
- At least 5 years in a people/team management position, including experience in working with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Proven track record of initiating and implementing market building programs.
- Knowledge of cotton, polyester, MMCF value chain, industry and supply chain. Including sustainability issues and work happening in the field of sustainability and a good understanding of the opportunities and developments taking place in different fibres.
- Strong network with the Apparel & textile actors.
- Excellent project and program management skills including budgeting and reporting.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal in English, with an ability to summarize complex information in simple terms.
- High level of expertise with Microsoft word, excel, PowerPoint, outlook, including management of large data sets.
- Advanced critical thinking skills, with the ability to easily assess priorities and take quick action.
- Proven ability in business development and program design- experience in selling concepts/solutions.
- Knowledge of Cotton value chain, industry and supply chain, including sustainability issues and work happening in the field of sustainability and a good understanding of the opportunities and developments taking place in different fibres.
- Willingness to travel internationally up to 25% of your time (when feasible)
Who we are
IDH brings companies, CSOs, governments and others in public-private partnerships together to realize green & inclusive growth at scale in commodity sectors and sourcing areas. Our approaches are designed to drive sustainability from niche to norm in mainstream markets, delivering impact on Sustainable Development Goals. We focus on creating a positive impact on deforestation, living incomes and living wages, working conditions, toxic loading and gender. In this, we are supported by multiple European governments, including our institutional donors: BUZA, SECO and DANIDA. IDH is a company that works together with over 600 companies, CSOs, financial institutions, producer organizations and governments in 12 sectors and 12 landscapes in over 40 countries worldwide.
What we offer
IDH offers a dynamic international environment and an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member, you can contribute to positive global change. The position is full time and for 40 hours per week. We offer market competitive compensation.
The placement for the position is in the UK (London) or The Netherlands (Utrecht). Candidates should have permission to work in the UK or The Netherlands.